Let me take this opportunity to introduce myself to you all.
My name is Ali Nasser and I’m now 27 years old
I’m a final year dental student training at The Royal London Dental Institute, which is located in Whitechapel, East London.
The Royal London Dental School is a part of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, which itself is a part of Queen Mary University of London.
I have served as the President of the Dental Society during my third year of training.
I was born in Ashford (Middlesex) which is just west of London and have lived in a town called Staines for most of my life but have recently just moved out of that house. I now live in a small flat in West London. Although I was born and bred here in the UK (so am technically British), I’m originally from Iraq. The last time I visited Iraq was back in 2001 (before the invasion) but hopefully, in the future, I will be able to go back to visit.
I won’t go into unnecessary details about my life but here’s a little bit:
My Family Unit:
I’m lucky to have two amazing younger brothers Hussein and Omar – there’s only 24 months between each of us so we are really close.
- There’s Hussein, he’s 25 years old and has just completed 6 years of medical school at Birmingham University and is working as a junior doctor on the Academic Foundation Programme in Bristol. He is hoping to specialise in ophthalmology
- There’s Omar, he’s is 23 years old and is training to be an architect. After finishing his A-Levels he did a foundation art course in London and has now completed part I of the architecture course at Oxford Brooke’s University. He will be looking to find a job as a Part I Architectural Assistant in London.
And we are so lucky to have such a wonderful mother who has always been there for us. She’s my rock, my inspiration, my best friend and so much more.
My mum qualified as a medical doctor at university in Iraq, but didn’t work for long as a doctor when she moved to the UK before she had my brothers and I and became a full-time parent.
Here’s a bit about me aside from my obvious passion for dentistry:
I’m obsessed with sport, health and fitness
- I go to the gym maybe 4 or 5 times/week
- I run ~15 miles/week.
- I’ve done the Paris and London Marathons and many half marathons
- My next big goal is to have completed an Iron Man triathlon before I turn 35
- My football team is Fulham FC
- I’m a huge All Blacks fanboy – I watch most of their games
It’s a new hobby but I’m starting to get really into photography. At the moment I have a really good digital compact Sony camera (the Sony DSC HX90) and also a Nikon D5600 DSLR with a 35mm Nikkor lens and a Sigma 105mm macro lens.
- I love urban photography – so it’s great that I live in London
- The symmetry
- The grey colour palette
- Capturing old and new
- Playing with long exposure times to show movement in a still image
- Also, portrait and also nature/adventure photography
I have serious wanderlust! I’m very lucky to have been able to travel to so many wonderful places in the world and the list I have of places I want to visit next is ridiculously long.
Linked with my love for travel is my great interest in languages and different cultures. I speak English, Arabic, Spanish and some Italian and French. I’d love to get better at Italian and French in the next few years so I can become a fluent speaker and the next language I want to learn is German!
I’m a huge foodie! There are very few foods I dislike. I love:
- Experiencing the endless food establishments all over London – you can never get bored with the variety. If you know where to go – there are foods from all over the globe!
- Borough market and all the other wonderful food markets
- Experimenting in my kitchen at home – finding recipes online and trying to make them
Not sure what else to put here so I’ll stop here.
There’s another post that I decided to split into two parts: “Life Before Dental School – Part 1” and “Life Before Dental School – Part 2” in which I go into details about what I was doing before I started at dental school as a 23 year old in September 2015.